Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I love this time of year...I wish I were a real artist and other thoughts...by Arlene

I love the Christmas season...thinking about and plotting surprise for others. Wish I could win the lottery and REALLY surprise everyone. This year I am doing the 'things that can't come from a store' approach. I have to say, I think this is very fun. My New Years Resolution last year was to be 'more creative'. I felt like I hadn't really allowed myself permission to just doodle-do and make things with my hands. I guess between pretty demanding church callings, work and a million other things I used as excuses the creative part of me had been put on hold. Welllll....I have to say, the more one does the better it gets. Don't get to excited - I haven't done THAT much. But I have allowed myself to do some creative things...and it is fun. Some things are just the same old thing revisited - but what a fun visit it has been. The frustration of not having enough 'play time' is still everpresent. BUT...I am enjoying the snippets of time I do have to just sit in my 'magic' room and push beads and buttons and paint and fabric - this and that around on the table top. (called the 'magic' room not just because of the magically things that come from there BUT mostly because when I come out I feel so much better....MAGIC!)
I really really wish I were a REAL artist. But....at least I can copy really good. I love a new idea - it gives me energy.
Julie...I would love it if you would post some of your windows on this blog so we could all enjoy your creative art work. You ARE a real artist.
Jenni...where are some of those portraits you are making? Another REAL artist. (Does having nieces that are REAL artists count?
AND BARB....what about you? Have you got those brushes out and dusted off your creative side?
Bev...shared at the sisters reunion a idea of a wood block nativity (Joseph, Mary, Baby Jesus). The girls and I (plus Mark...what a trooper) made 75! (Rick and Cody cut them all out after Cody found the wood at work...FREE) In true Hilterbrand fashion we went nuts. It was SO FUN. I loved it. Amy's daughter Autumn is VERY creative and inventive. She hung in there with us working until the last string was tied. The fun part...they are still done this morning - unlike - the dishes and laundry...oh ugh.
Bev is a REAL artist...with a 4" brush....or a silk flower. I loved her sharing and tending us with ideas at the sissies reunion.
Oh there is hope for me....there is 'artist' in the genes. Yahoo!
Arlene...on the way to the 'magic' room....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Arlene, my sewing room is my magic room. I just wish I could get in it. If I clean it up you can not tell it. It is my funnest room in the house. mom