Monday, April 03, 2006

Rough Draft of Children's Story-Jenni

I thought you might enjoy a story idea I have...
Angel Kisses

My dad says my freckles are angel kisses. I think he is trying to make me like them. I haven’t seen any angels around.

I hate my freckles. They splatter across my face every which way. Some are dark and direct, like paint splatters. Some are pale and wide, like dried mud puddles.

I think about them constantly. “I want smooth skin like the movie stars,” I think.

“Get out of my cover-up,” Mom says. She says I should be thankful for my freckles as she gives me a big kiss. “Those are angel’s kisses.” But I don’t believe her. She is just saying that to make me like them. I haven’t seen any angels around.

We always visit Grandpa Nell and Grandma Adah on Sundays. My whole family gets in the big suburban and drives to visit them.

We dress up in Daddy’s old bell-bottoms or Aunt Susan’s wedding dress and put on skits for Grandma.

Grandma loves everything we perform. Someday I will be a star. I doubt then I will have to take off my veil for dinner.

If I was married, maybe I wouldn’t have freckles. Grandma tells me my freckles are from angel’s kisses. “I know, Grandma,” I tell her. “Angels must have speckled lips.” Then she smiles and kisses me on the cheek— right on the freckles.

In school, Ms. Shirley tells me to take off my sunglasses. “The sun is not bright in here.”

I tell her, “One can never be too careful. We must avoid the UV rays.”

At recess Tom Sullivan chases me in kiss tag. I am the fastest runner on the playground. I know for certain Tom has spotted lips. I can’t afford more freckles.

When Daddy tucks me into bed that night, I lay there in the soft protection of the moon light. He bends over and kisses me on the cheek and whispers softly, “Your angels will watch over you tonight.”



I smile as I hug him tight. I know he is telling the truth.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my heavens Jenni that is a wonderful story....and I can't wait to see your illustrations. You are gifted, girl! WOW. Aunt Arlene

Anonymous said...

I believer in angels..........kisses!!!! mom

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful story. I love it. I'm really excited about your future! You are so talented. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

With each phrase I could see a freckled faced little girls dealing with her "challenge!" You've got it Jenni...keep writing and illustrating. I'm your first customer...and if we need to go door to door...hey! it's a good sell! All the Hilters are cheering you on!

Anonymous said...

What do you mean "rough draft"? It is good enough like it is. GO GIRL. We are so happpy to have one so talented in our family. gma

Anonymous said...

Jenni,
You don't happen to be the girl with the freckles...Do You? Rachel