| I can't believe that this day has come...but it has! Here is the letter I wrote to my customers: Dear hair customer, (wrote their name) This is a hard letter for me to write! I have been doing hair for the past 32 years and have loved it very much. Each of you has become an important part of my life. I appreciate your loyal business and friendship over these many years. But the time has come for me to retire! My body and my husband helped me decide. My motto for Barb's Hairlines was: "pleasing you is my pleasure" and I meant it, it was a pleasure to serve you! I will miss you very much. Sincerely and with love, Barb Bodily (wrote a persoanl note, told each of them they were my favorite!) |
I sent them today. It's very scary for me to do this!
But I know it's right and soooo I will make change my friend. There are many good things to do! Steve says, 'I'm his new runner and secretary."
Shay expressed my feelings when she said, "Mom, I know what you're thinking.....You want to do things more than buy things." That's absolutely right, and I want to feel good enough to do many things!
There is an exception to this rule: I will still put color on Bev's hair, cut Marcia's bangs, do moms hair every week, cut my kids and their familys hair, (don't cut Chandler, Ky...) and Arlene's fam at reunion time! For you the shop is still open! hah!
9 comments:
Good letter mom. We need to throw a retirement party for you!! Whoopee....DING as Arlene would say!!
Love ya
Shay
As hard as this is...it really is an exciting time to explore new things.
You have brought 'much pleasure' to many people. You didn't just 'do' hair...you 'did' hearts. You encouraged and inspired. Even though you are not going to be 'doing' hair...you will continue to 'do' hearts....the most important part!
Maybe even a chance to 'do' more for YOUR heart....so you can continue to bless others.
Love you sissie. Arlene
Oh my oh my! That is a big "letting go" time. Wow!
I have to tell myself that there are 2 kinds of people in this world successful and not so successful. What is the distinction?
Well, those who are willing to put it all on the line, and those who do it with half a heart. This is DEFINATELY a whole heart decision. All right here comes the opportunities for success. Good for you!
You are opening the door for a whole new amount of opportunities! Really, Once you take out the "old nasty couch" (so to speak) there is room for a wonderful new couch. It doesn't mean that you don't miss the "old nasty couch", that it doesn't have loving memories attatched to it.
There is something better out there for you.
We love you Barbs. We love you!
I agree with Amy, when one door shuts another opens. I would love to be inside that new door and sit at your feet of opportunity of learning and sharing. You are the greatest friend any one could ever have!!! The Lord knows what is in store for you. Isn't is nice to have choices? I love you bev
Wow Barbs, congratulations. That's wonderful to hear. I wish you best on the new chapter. Quick question: was there no way to sell your business?
To cars...to tell you the truth, I didn't think of SELLING my business! how would i do that? I guess I could have tried to find someone to fill my shoes?
I've had some interesting phone calls from my patrons. everyone who called cried with me. I feel good that they love me, i will miss the friendship but not the emotional drain.
a couple of them (whom I've done for 20 years) are kinda mad...but i think when they find someone who can fix their hair, they will forgive me. funny thing is, they would gripe to high heaven if i raised my price...aargh!
But. I told shay I'm having an identity crisis. Hair is so much of what I've been!
Cars! I've done people hair since I was Chads age! think about that. Chads age to my age. too long!!! I need a change! i'm scared, but I need a change...in my body and my soul...i need this change. hugs. bb
Yeah, you did need a change, and I suspect you'll adjust to the "change" just fine and dandy in about 2 seconds. That was a good long run, you raised a family, put your kids through missions, and now it's time for a new chapter. I wish you the very best.
(To sell, yes, just finding someone to fill your shoes, then smoothing out the transition and referring all your customers. That's how dentists sell their practices. Might not have been the same with hair...)
I appreicate this support. It was so weird not to have hair today. I feel like a sinner! but I helped Steve and went fishing off our bank with the Mooneys for a couple hours. Pretty fun.
Well Barb, I'm speechless...I guess you'll figure it all out so that when I retire you'll know how to help me!!! I bet you'll wonder how you ever had time for hair. You won't have to be a therapist also that will make you feel a lot better...as I think about this there could be many rewards for not dealing with hair clients. I bet you won't even miss it after awhile. I'll be thinking about ya!! Call me if you need to hash!! Love, Rachel
Post a Comment