Well, Barb's blog about the program inspired me to share with you Bud and I's experience of the program. We have 11 sunbeams. 8 boys and 3 girls. So for the program they put you in the choir seats. Picture this...they can't touch the floor and manage the "flip" seat and their beautiful, fulled skirted slips all at the same time.So you have to help each one of them sit down. They stand up and seat down for 8 songs. 8 times 11! It is very hot with the stupid flood lights on. Why, I do not know. (You can see the kids just fine without them.) They put us on two rows, so Bud is behind me with half the kids. My kids are right behind the piano, so they can't see their mom and dad to wave...they don't even know what's going on, except there is a big piano they can stick their hands in and touch the strings....they slide off their chairs and go UNDER the piano and call it their cave...they put their feet upon the piano so they can slide in their chairs easier and they cover their ears because the piano is tooooo loud! We sat for 3 hours, the first two to practice the last hour to perform!!!! Ridiculous. I wore the wrong dress!!! Knee highs and straight skirt are not a good thing when wrestling sunbeams. I finally turned to Bud and said...I'm bringing out the gold fish. He said...you can't feed them up here....I said, I'll repent later...It did calm them for a bit. One of the very active boys is autistic on the mild end of the scale. He knows every song by heart...but never stops making noises, humming, swallowing very loud, repetitious gestures. He loves red. Will not use any other color. When we give them play dough or gold fish he will not use his left hand ever. Bud relates this experience...He had two boys to the left of him. He looked over and they had their arms around each other. One saying to the other...'I love you', "I love you too" The next look was a double take, when they were kissing each other right on the lips!!!!! Bud said it was loud enough you could hear it smack!!! Oh boy, the life of a sunbeam is priceless. They are my absolute favorite age of a child!!!! I can spot a 3-4 year old anywhere. We were talking about the word of wisdom..."we don't smoke, or drink coffee". One little girl said," my dad drinks coffee". (he's in the elder's quorum) I said, No he doesn't. She got off her chair and looked me straight in the eyes and said. "yes, he does!" OK! About a month later, we were talking about taking care of our bodies in a different sort of twist. The lessons repeat alot. She volunteered it again. "My dad drinks coffee". I repeated again....'no he doesn't!" She repeated again..."Yes he does!" Gotta love 'em!!! bev
Sunday, October 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Bev...thank you for sharing your 'Beams with us. I love these kids...I am still chuckling about your cave and goldfish..I laughed out loud with Bud's 'boyfriend' stor and I can see the twinkle in Bud's eye sharing that. Fun calling.
Arlene
Redge said their primary program was one of the most spiritual meeting he has ever had. He said right after the sacrament meeting, the kids walked up from the back of the chapel singing Search Ponder and Pray! such a neat beginning.
Then, every kid had their part memorized and then for the last song, they went down and circled the center section of the chapel and holding hands they sang...Holding hands around the world.
Redge said their wasn't a dry eye. He said, even the old geesers were wiping their eyes. They have a huge primary. Sounds wonderful to me. I love that kind of stuff....
mom those little sun beams are lucky to have you and bud you have the best ideas!! love ya shell
Post a Comment