Monday, January 22, 2007

A last great act of service... - from Carson

Today I attended the funeral for one of my dear friends and our beloved former Bishop. I won't be able to do justice here to what an incredible man he was. We had to park 3 blocks away from the stake center to get in. It was full to the back of the stage and in the side rooms. He died at a very young 62. He was in the temple presidency. He died of a sudden heart attack last Tuesday. His 8 children rushed from all over the US and the funeral was the most spiritually powerful experience I can remember having. What a precious legacy this mighty man of God left. I was his Ward Mission Leader and as a convert he was extremely missionary minded. I cherish the special times we had together. Each month without fail we had our stewardship interview. He'd sit me down and insist on spending 30 minutes talking about me. Not my calling - me. In these meetings he would tell me he loved me, that he appreciated my service, that he knew I was called of God and how grateful he was to serve with me. At the end of each interview we would embrace. I shared with him my heart. A few months after he was released he caught me in the hall "Brother Mc..., it's good to see you, I sure miss our monthly chats." In the last year or so I became his "computer buddy" - he'd call me with computer trouble and I'd go help him out. I cherish those memories now. I've talked about him, literally hundreds of times with my family. He's a model of service to the Lord.

Last night as I lay in bed thinking about him it occurred to me what his last great act of service was: He died right. His passing has been so difficult -- but because he died right, there is rejoicing. I can't describe how important this is to those left behind. His last great selfless act. Like Grandpa -- he died right. I will miss my dear friend, but I know he's doing the Lord's work, and that I'll be with him again.

I'm changed because of him - dramatically. And today, I want to do everything I can to merit his warm embrace again. Death can come so suddenly, and when it does, all our selfish pursuits fade into dust. Our loved ones are left behind grasping for comfort, and if we die right they find that comfort readily and completely. I pledge to do my best to leave this gift to those I love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is a precious gift. We never want to take it for granted. I love this quote..."Enjoy the little things for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."
Sorry, to hear about your friend. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I do not worry about you, Carson. You will die right!! Gma

Anonymous said...

Very good insight..made tears come to my eyes...I remember you sharing with us how influencial he was in your life. "Each life that touches ours for good."

thank you.

Anonymous said...

the spirit comforts those that need comforted. bev