Thursday, May 03, 2007

So Cody doesn't feel alone......

I have read and reread the depression entries and comments. This is my experience on the subject. I have read over 26 books on depression and self-help books to find the answers that were true to my feelings. I also had to go to alot of counselors...shopping...if you will, to find one that connected with my inner self/spirit. I have also been on every medication that could be made trying to take the one that would work for me to be able to keep functioning and have a productive live. It is not an easy task. I knew when I had the right medication because I felt hope and my attitude was better. I didn't have the pity party attitude, I knew within a very short time it was the right pill for me. In our office they say it levels out within 6 weeks. If you do not see a positive change within that time, you are not on the right one. If you crash and have a depressed episode after you have been on medication, I suggest you re-evaluate your treatment. Something is not working! I too NEVER want to go there again. I actually take pride in the fact that I was blessed with the ability to figure it out...with the Lord's help, of course, after depression for about 25 years. It has only been in the last 10 years that I can honestly say I have a very good handle on it. I have learned to recognize the symptoms, the red flags, if you will. I know what works for me. The most important thing is that my testimony has NEVER waivered. If anything it is stronger. I have always been able to feel the spirit, even in my darkest hour. I would hate to think how scary it would be to not feel the spirit. The spirit is what kept me guided to the right sources of help. A few of the motivating factors that got me up in the morning were: my children needed a "healthy" mother. A functioning mother who could teach and be an example. A mother and only a mother that could give them the female side of life. Dads are great...but let's get honest here. There is nothing that can take the place of a mother's love, nuturing, caring and example. Another motivating factor was my personal desire to be mentally and physically healthy. I was not born to lay in bed! You see, when you are depressed, which is a mental illness, it affects the physical. Those are the symptoms the dr. asks you. Are you tired, body aches, loss of apetite,? etc. I had my most favorite counselor, and I had several, that said: I promise you, when you changed your thinking, you will never have depression again. He went on to say, depression starts out in the mind! As a man thinketh, so is he. (and he wasn't LDS) You are what you think about all day long. This happens on a sub-conscious level. That is why you want to be aware of your surroundings, people you hang out with and work with (that is one reason I quit Pathways,) and thoughts. All this can feed your depression. That is why all things must come to your conscious level. As my children have said...."we were raised by a cognitive mother". That means, you are aware of your thoughts and physical ailments. e.g. If you have a stomach ache, the question I would ask my kids." Why, what is upsetting you? All emotions start in the stomach. Let's talk about it, let go of it and move on". It is like getting really honest with your self. When you are not real, honest and humble to admit you have issues that are causing the depression that is when the trouble becomes worse. IT IS NEVER ABOUT THE OTHER PERSON....NEVER!!!!!!!!! You can blame the teacher, the spouse, the friend, but that will not change you. It is how you handle it. You cannot change them you can only change you. You can ask yourself simple questions like: How is their immaturity or short temper a reflection of me, or why is this bothering me so much. What is this really about?. In other words, what can I learn from this? All this refers back to the stomach ache idea, or head ache etc. So then you dig deep inside and say perhaps this: My stomach hurts because the teacher said, or my friend today said I had ugly teeth. (don't laugh) You internalize that and say inside: I am ugly. A negative thought becomes a fixed belief that is not real, therefore, it becomes a "depressed:" thought. Or maybe someone says, you are fat. You become depressed and internalize it. You want approval so you live up to that thought to be validated, even if at a conscience level you know it is not true. That is why it is so important to work through the steps to sort and get honest with yourself. So my point: Yes, there is some chemical depression that occurs when your chemistry changes to accomodate your reality, or what you think is your reality. Yes, some people must be on medication to change the chemistry in their head. It is proven that when you fill your head with negative for so long, it does change the chemistry in your head. It may not start out as a habit, but just like an alcoholic, it becomes a habit that was motivated by a thought. An unhealthy conclusive thought. YOU are your worst enemy, but also can be your best friend (when honest with self). The good news....you can change, It is your choice. Look at me! I did it, so can you!!! Do not run away, do not justify your actions. Be like an eagle and rise above! I hope this helps and enlightens. bev

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! I'm so glad you are well and have taught me so many things...especially to work thru my stomach aches:)! I got it!

Anonymous said...

WOW BEV...thank you. I appreciate your support of Cody. His counselor is teaching him the very things you are talking about. It is so encouraging to see him feel better. I giggled tonight realizing - I mean really getting it that depression is treatable. It really is! Thanks again. I know it is hard to talk so openly about something that is so tender and close to your heart. Arlene

Anonymous said...

BArb here...

Bev....I admire you for how well you've managed depression for these many years. I remember when you first told us you had it, you were afraid of how we would "accept" it/YOU! Remember?


Here's my question? Why do people with depression not want to admit it? There is no shame in having an illness....no body asks for it...so why are people hesitant to tell others they have it?

I guess it's like me with osteoporosis. I don't like to talk about it cuz I don't want people feeling sorry for me or treating me differently because of it.

I don't want them "looking at me and labeling me in their mind." Know what I mean?

I hate it and I'm trying to do what I can to deal with it...but I really don't like to talk about it. It's like I'm flawed and don't want anybody to know. (Is this pride?)

Anyway...would appreciate anybodys thoughts on that...

Also...
Steve asked if there are any good church articles about depression....he counsels people all the time and would like to be able to "hand them something to read". (I know I can look some up on the internet...but did Codys counselor recommend one in particular?)

Steve also wants to learn and understand it more, so he can help others.

He asked if there a test or something ...questions.... you can ask yourself to see if you have real clinican depression or just the blues?

Good to talk about all this!

Anonymous said...

Barb after I have a baby at the 6wk. appointment they have me fill out a sheet that asks questions on how you feel. (checking for depression/baby blues) They usually have you circle from 1 to 5 rating your answer on what you are feeling about life and situtions.
Steve could maybe get those questions from a doctors office!

Anonymous said...

I do remember feeling "less than"...I was afraid my sisters would think less of me. Like you wouldn't accept me. I did not want anyone to know. It can really mess up your self esteem/self worth. You feel like you have a weakness and the only one that does...Believe me you are not the only one. I talked about it in enrichment and there were alot of heads nodding. You want to be careful that you do not misrepresent the problem that is why a good counselor is very helpful...once you admit to self. It takes alot of courage to go get help. It is a great door for Satan to step in because you are so very vulnerable...another motivating factor-Satan or the Lord. There are self tests you can take and lots of information on it. My favorite simple reading book called Where Eagles Rest by Hyrum Smith. He teaches the cognitive approach. Lots of others. Jen was here for the weekend, we wanted some material for Cody by Hyrum. We googled him. There are lots of Hyrums. So I just got on the phone and started calling them. I said," are you the Hyrum that is the motivational speaker?' the reply was, no but he lives in St. George. So then I called St George and this Hyrum said "no he lives in Gunlock" So we called Gunlock and it was HIM! I recognized his voice because I have his tapes. I left a message to please call me. HE DID!!! I got the tapes and more just Wednesday at no charge. I know the Lord helped me again. Because I believe the universe supports you in what you create (in your mind) if you start out feeling the blues and let that consume you and habitually see the negative in your areas of life whether it be a bad spouse, a bad hair day, a bad job, you WILL end up being depressed. Remember you are what you think about all day long. If that is your story the medication is only a bandaid. You have lots of work to do that the meds will not change. It is a vulnerable place to be.You are toying with some serious affects that you will regret. If you want the test, let me know. bev

amy said...

You can find the questionaire online to any depression medication on the internet. Like Effexor etc.