Thursday, November 08, 2007

MRSA info

Hello All,
Since my new job is MRSA Coordinator, I feel a slight obligation to inform my family about MRSA, and try to get you educated with the facts, not just what the media has to say.

First of all, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) has been around since the early 1960's. It is a bacteria that is not killed by normal antibiotics. If you would like more general info on bacteria, and MRSA, click here.

The media has grabbed a hold of, dramatized, and glamorized what is going on, like they usually do.

The take home message for all of you is this:

WASH YOUR HANDS.

You know all those time you can hear your mom's voice saying "wash your hands" as you walk out of the bathroom, before you eat, or when you are about to pick your nose? Well, do it.

This country has a big battle to fight with MRSA, and it is not going away quickly, but we can keep ourselves safe and clean. Most of you probably already do it.

And, the great news is, that alcohol gel (Purell, etc) works actually better than warm soap and water. Just make sure it has at least 60% Ethyl Alcohol, or Ethanol.

This is a good link for you all also. It is geared towards the person that has MRSA, but you will find the info helpful, as you are sure to mix with someone that has it (store, school, church, work, etc). The section titled Caring for Yourself is particularly helpful.

I don't think there is any need for us to turn into hermits over this. No need to keep our kids from school, or stop going to the store. There are varying levels of germ freaky-ness we can get to, so find the one that works for you, and do it. Just remember,

WASH YOUR HANDS.

And when I say wash, I mean wash with warm water and soap, or use the gel. (Clean may be a better term). Wash them when you get home, wash them before you eat, wash them before you prepare food, after the bathroom, when you get in the car, before picking your nose (that one is for Carson and me), after touching your keyboard, after using the public phone, before and after visiting the doctor or the hospital, after shaking hands with a bunch of people, before you touch your face, before you play with your kids, before kissing your boyfriend (Jenni and HeberÜ), after sports, after time at the gym, and so forth. You get the idea. Get one of them small gel bottles, put it in your purse/pocket, and use that sucker. The more the merrier.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about this. I am willing, and would love to give you the facts as well as I can.

Stay healthy,
Sam

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wash my hands after I pick my nose too. Just in case.

rachel said...

Just as long as you guys don't eat your burgers!!!!

Sam, thanks for this great info!!