So, the other day I am driving in the car, and this song comes on. One of my last memories with Grandpa Jack was us talking about country songs we liked, and this was the one that he said he liked at the time. I have been having some hard times lately with working night shift and not seeing my family as much as I would like, trying to find a house, church, etc. So, on comes this song, and I think of that time with Grandpa Jack. The song is about a soldier that is gone now, but is “riding along” with this guy that bought his old car. In the beginning of the song it talks about how he cleans up and fixes up the car. That is something Grandpa Jack would do. I remember he always took care of his stuff. He made do with what he had. The song continues and I am still thinking of Grandpa Jack. I was alone in my car, driving home in the early morning cold, and then comes this line, as I am thinking of Grandpa “I'd get the feeling sometimes, if I turned real quick I'd see, A soldier riding shotgun in the seat right next to me.” I felt at that moment that Grandpa Jack was there with me, riding shotgun, for just a minute. I got, and still feel, an overwhelming feeling that he, and Heavenly Father, love me. That they understand that life may be hard for me right now, but they still love me. Another strong point of this song is summed up here, “But for every dream that's shattered, another one comes true, this car was once a dream of his, back when it was new, He told me to take her and make her my own, And I was proud to be riding with Private Malone.” This Private Malone wasn’t selfish about his car. It was his dream, but he willingly passed it on to another. Grandpa jack was not selfish. He would willingly do whatever one of us wanted him to do. The magical thing was, he would do it happily and have fun doing it. He would whistle or “beee booh hoo humm” while he did it. At the end of the song, the guy gets in a crash, and Private Malone is there to save him from wreckage. And then it says, “I know I wouldn't be here if he hadn't tagged along, that night I was riding with Private Malone. Oh, thank God, I was riding with Private Malone.” I am thankful to God, and Grandpa Jack, that are helping pull me from the wreckage of this difficult time in life. I am thankful that Grandpa Jack was tagging along with me in my car on that cold early winter morning. I really needed a reassurance that things are OK, and that I can have a positive attitude about life. I have many wonderful things in my life, especially family, and I guess I just needed a little prodding to remember those things.
David Ball
Riding With Private Malone
I was just out of the service thumbing through the classifieds
When an ad that said: "Old Chevy" somehow caught my eye
The lady didn't know the year, or even if it ran
But I had that thousand dollars in my hand
It was way back in the corner of this old ramshackle barn
With thirty years of dust and dirt on that green army tarp
When I pulled the cover off, it took away my breath
What she called a Chevy was a sixty six Corvette
I felt a little guilty as I counted out the bills
But what a thrill I got when I sat behind the wheel
I opened up the glove box and that's when I found the note
The date was nineteen-sixty six and this is what he wrote:
He said, "My name is Private Andrew Malone"
"If you're reading this, then I didn't make it home"
"But for every dream that shattered, another one comes true"
"This car was once a dream of mine, now it belongs to you"
"And though you may take her and make her your own"
"You'll always be riding with Private Malone"
Well it didn't take me long at all, I had her running good
I love to hear those horses thunder underneath her hood
I had her shining like a diamond and I'd put the rag top down
All the pretty girls would stop and stare as I drove her through town
The buttons on the radio didn't seem to work quite right
But it picked up that oldie show, especially late at night
I'd get the feeling sometimes, if I turned real quick I'd see
A soldier riding shotgun in the seat right next to me
It was a young man named Private Andrew Malone
Who fought for his country and never made it home
But for every dream that's shattered, another one comes true
This car was once a dream of his, back when it was new
He told me to take her and make her my own
And I was proud to be riding with Private Malone
One night it was raining hard, I took the curve too fast
I still don’t remember much about that fiery crash
Someone said they thought they saw a soldier pull me out
They didn't get his name, but I know without a doubt
It was a young man named Private Andrew Malone
Who fought for his country and never made it home
But for every dream that's shattered, another one comes true
This car was once a dream of his, back when it was new
I know I wouldn't be here if he hadn't tagged along
That night I was riding with Private Malone
Oh, thank God, I was riding with Private Malone
_______________________________________________
SAM
Friday, December 09, 2005
A Tender Mercy for Sam
Posted by
Anonymous
at
2:28 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sam,
thank-you for sharing.
We love that song, and now we will love it even more.
Amy
Oh mr Sambo. YOu made your Auntie cry hard hard! I too remember how G- pa jack loved that song. He talked about it alot. I can assure you that he loves you and cares so much about all of us. He wants us all to be okay. You wrote that special expereince up so good. thanks you for sharing! I believe that indeed you received a tender mercy. I will be praying that you can get on day shifts and find the direction and answers to all you righteous desires. I love you honey. barb
Sam, I have a little red corvette that Bev gave Jack one year for Christmas. I almost cried when I read that song. It was one of Jack's favorites. I had heard that song every time it was played, cause Jack loved it so.
I am glad you remembered it.
Love you Gma
Post a Comment