.....to be Jolly and a multitude of other things. I love this season. In addition to the real reason for the season I like all the things that go with it. The music - don't you just love Christmas music???, the thinking - thinking - thinking...what can I do to make this fun for someone else?, the good movies on the Hallmark channel to watch as I work on 'things', cocoa and toast - which I only drink at this time of year, the excitement of kids, lights on all the houses. Rick doesn't like to put them up so I enjoy the neighbors.
Emotions are high...and that means all emotion. I enjoy the flavor of this season. I want to enjoy it all - all the parts -even the meloncholy and pensive parts.
I miss my Dad. He loved Christmas. I remember the time he bought Mom her first Bernina. He had shopped and shopped on his own to get her the 'best' sewing machine. I remember doing chores with the blanket hanging over the 'hole' so we couldn't see in the living room until chores were done and breakfast eaten. I remember the year Mom had sewn a ma-nillion Barbie doll clothes for B&B's...all those tiny little seams. How do you make a barbie dress?
I remember the hooded coat Mom sewed for my doll. (I still have the coat AND the doll).
I remember how the front room was 'arranged' after Santa's visit. I remember as we grew older we got money for Christmas to go to Twin the day after to shop for clothes when they were on sale. Oh...that was a fun big day, all the good bargains we would search for all day long. We got up really early to get the chores done. Hurry Hurry. Then off on the long drive to Twin. It seemed like a long way in those days. Anyway...we would shop and shop...Dad the BEST SPORT....holding coats...approving of each 'outfit' as we modeled from the dressing room. Marcia always bought it long enough and then Mom would remodel it to be small enough 'around' when we returned home. (That is what we did the day after the day after Christmas.) Then time to head home and get the chores done. Then a 'fashion show' in the front room....of all our finds. I remember the year I bought a pull over sweater that was kind of wild. It had lots of color and pattern in it....Dad just chuckled and said...It looks like you, Arlene. I loved that sweater. I love that Dad!
I remember one year after I had moved away...either to school or first married...Mom and Dad decorated big time. There were even lights on the pine tree outside. Mom was discouraged because no body came down that long winding wind blown road to see them but us-ens. We did live out in the country, didn't we?
I remember carmel corn, fixed the old fashion way...not just in a microwave - in Mom's oval pan. Dad loved carmel corn. And homemade carmels...we had free cream in those days.
Oh...tis the season. Good memories - good times. I hope we can make good memories for those near and dear. I love you all. Arlene
Wednesday, December 14, 2005
"tis the season" by Arlene
Posted by
Anonymous
at
8:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You made it all come alive again...thank you Arlenie! Miss BB
Arlene, I haven't used the blogger and that shows you how quick I can forget how to do it. I had to call BB to find out what I had forgotten. Old age is the pits
Gma
Post a Comment