Well ya know, it takes alot of guts to go to Dental school. First of all qualifying for it is hurendous. Out of thousands of applications only 108 were picked to go to Nova, there in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. My son qualified! He jumped through all the hoops (and they were high ones) and made it! I have truly felt the hand of the Lord in his behalf all along the way.
He had hoped and planned a way to have a little money to help him while there but lost it all in a bad investment. That hurt. His loans are staggering! They are there in a car that is so pathetic that they leave the keys in it hoping someone will steal it. Nobody in Florida is even that dumb. It's a piece of junk, but they have to make it do.
I have to compliment his good wife. She is so supportive and encouraging and sticking to their tight budget. I love her for all she does. It had to be a team effort and Kyla is a trooper. I am proud of them for going forth in having a family. They are living the gospel! They take turns going to the temple (6 hours away) every month. They serve faithfully in their callings. Kyla is in Young womens (a big challenge in that ward with very few "in tact" families), and Ty has 3 callings plus hometeaches 14 families each month. I just can't believe how they do it. They are growing so much out there. I am so proud of them.
Did you know that the field of dentisty is the highest suicide rate of any occupation. (I thought it was hairdressing :) ). Well anyway, there is such a small margin for error in their work. It's very stressful. Ty LOVES what hes learning! He is in the upper 1/4 of his class. He told me today, he got a 95 on his last test about drugs. He had to memorize them and how they were administered to the patient!
Before Christmas, they had to do a procedure, a root canal, on their dummy head patient. Ty asked an upper class man if he could give him any advise to help him be able to do it. (It's hard, okay). The kid (LDS) said when we did it we used super glue to stabalize the tooth and then went on to explaining how he did it. Ty thought, "Oh, okay. If that's acceptable, I will try that." The day of the test, Ty used the glue but it didn't secure it. However, he was able to successfully do the procedure. He felt so happy! "I did it!"
Later that day, an e mail comes to the class. "How many of you used super glue in that procedure? You cheated! You will fail the class and are in jeopardy of being expelled. " Ty gasped,"You're kidding!" He never would have done that if he didn't think it was acceptable. (They often use glues and waxes etc in procedures). The e mail went on to say, "If you used anything on that tooth, you better step forward and confess!" Ty thought, "Oh dear, what should I do. Yes, I put glue on that tooth, but it didn't hold and I know I did it without that help. " He pondered it all day. He kept thinging about that story of Bobby Polacia who climbed the rope and won but confessed that he didn't touch...do you know that one? Anyway, the Spirit wouldn't leave him alone so he went in and tried to explain why and what he did. The professor was harsh and chewed him out. (They don't just say, "That's okay, don't do it again." )
To shorten the story, Ty and half his class mates are in the same situation and they have to appear before a board of ethics today and they will determine the punishment. Take the class over (More money here cuz they'd have to stay longer there...rent etc.) Or kick them out.... I can't imagine they will kick half the class out?
Anyway, my prayers are with him. We have talked and talked to him about what to say and how to approach it. What a big belly ache. They mean it. They are cold and strict. I told Ty, "You know Ty, actually I am glad you are going to a school that is strict on ethics and have high standards." Ty agreed. He didn't mean to cheat, he was mislead. He had so much invested in this, there is no way he would knowingly jeopardize his career.
He said, "You can't believe how many students here are slackers and cheaters. (How would you like them to work in your mouth?) He said, "The patient has no idea if he's doing it right and even if the diagnosis is correct. " We are at their mercy. It's important to be able to trust your dentist.
I guess I just want to say and I love my boy and I'm proud of him. He never studies on Sunday. He is trying hard to balance all aspects of his life. I know the Lord is blessing him in accomplishing a very very hard thing. I admire his courage and stalwardness. I love Kyla for standing by his side. They are clinging to the Gospel and the Lord.
Guess, I just wanted to talk about Dr. Bodily! Do we have any other Dr's in the family???? See, it's cool.
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
About my TyTy
Posted by
Anonymous
at
7:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm proud of our Hilterbrand family and what good and honest children of God we are. I will pray for Ty and Kyla that all will turn out the best for them. Rachel
OH. Boy! I can just hear...Ty say OH BOY. They are such a fine example. Thanks Barb for sharing or we won't even know all the good things happening in our kids lives. I pray the Lord will CONTINUE to guide and bless. Ty you may be a long why from good old Idaho...but you are never far from our hearts and prayers. We love you. Aunt Arlene
Post a Comment