Saturday, February 25, 2006

Hair talk....from the barb-er lady.

I don't want this blog to die, so I tlak shop!

I was thinking about what I would do if I went to a hairdresser and wanted a good haircut or some service. What would I do to have her give me her best?

But first note: this advise does not apply to me and my family. I love to do my family and you don't have to do any of this stuff for me...I'm talking about everyday mundane hair days.

So, This is what I'd do. When you call for an appointment, just say, "When is the next available time you could do me?" Like you respect her time and realize that she had a life too. A little notice is nice. If she has family conflicts and can't, just say, "I understand, your family should be first priority." (Brownie point, she will try to get you in.)

Try to figure out if she is a morning or night person. If she's morning, get in there first thing while she is fresh and her back doesn't hurt and she cares.:) If she hates mornings...wait till she wakes up and cuts her fingers on somebody else.

It's always good to take her a treat; a bottle of juice, a cookie, fruit. Boy, that shows love and she will try so hard to please you.

Other things that help...first, tell her HER hair is cute. Tell her how much you loved the last cut. Don't say, "do it EXACTLY like last time, cuz she can't remember! Just say, "I loved it last time, do something like that...I trust you. You always do is just right."

If you have a picture of the "do", that's okay to bring it cuz it helps with the communication. But don't expect to walk out of there looking like that young cute thin model, for heavens sake. After all, she's not a miracle worker.

Keep your kids in the shop. If you have to bring them, you better practice at home with obedience and control. She is NOT going to give you her best, if she is tending your snot nose kids and trying to cut your hair. The best is to get a baby sitter, trade with friend. She'll go faster and do better.

If you are a man.....Keep you (stupid) head up while she is cutting. What is with guys, WHY do they always look down? It's ridiculous. Keep your chin up! I guess you are just relaxed or something but for pete's sake, quit drewling and take part in the project. (Don't think I'm mad at men, I LOVE to cut them, I just can't understand why they sit with their head down. Are you punished or pleasured?)

Now, at the end of the cut, if you want a rinse, mention that before she has you all blown dry.

Don't sit there and during the cut continually flip hair off the cape. It won't bit, leave it lay! that's not your job, just sit still!

If you are tall, put your feet up on the foot rest anyway. I have a tall lady that comes and she's like moving a derik. She is so planted that I can't move my chair...

YOu don't have to talk the whole time. If you don't want to talk, just shut your eyes. That's the sign, "no talky." Then she will know, you don't want to right then. That's okay.

Don't talk to your hairdresser about your private parts, your hemroids, you sex life, your affair, the movie you just saw. Talk about kids, the news, uplifting people and things. Tell her a clean joke. If she's churchy, talk about that.

Don't get ticked off if she has to answer her phone a couple times. I agree that she shouldn't engage in a long conversation, but you're not her only concern. Cut her some slack. She had to learn to be multi-tasked, so quit sighing....

Okay, haircuts over and time to pay. Kind words are about as good as a tip. A big no no to say is: "You didn't cut very much off, so are you going to charge me for a full hair cut?" (Listen lady, I charge you for what I permit to remain!)

Good Words to say, even if you don't mean it: "I was in McCall last month and paid twice this much and didn't get near as good of haircut." "We couldn't live without you, you have been so good to us all these years." "When are you going to raise your price, you are worth more than you charge." "Oh, I love it. That feels so good." "You are the best!" "I look forward to coming here..." "This is my treat." "My husband says,you're the only one he wants me to go to...he loves what you do for me."



P.S. I'm speaking from 35 years of experience.....maybe I should start a column in the newspaper, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your blog!!!You forgot to say that as soon as you are done,"Will you please leave now". And hurry and get in the chair cause I am running behind. (Just Kiddin) Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical.....I laughed OUT LOUD!
And by the way.....I love the haircuts you give me....our family has said on more than one occasion...wish we could go have Aunt Barb give us a 'do'. You do way more than cut hair. We love you. Arlene

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is great stuff. Seriously, awesome. Too bad this is our private little blog, that's stuff the whole world could benefit from.