Recently I have given this recipe to several of my friends who have tasted my bread. Kinda makes me feel good, so thought I'd share. It's so dang easy and so so so good. (Now, don't try to change it, follow what I say!) It works.
Just thought you might like it.....so....when I die, say "She made good bread, will ya?"
From Set for Life recipe book. Pg. 60
14 to 16 cups whole wheat flour (I grind white and red together)
2 rounded Tablespoons of SAF yeast
1/2 cup dry potato pearls (from dry pack cannery)
500 mg. vitamin C (I crush a capsule between 2 spoons)
6 cups warm water
1/2 cup veg. oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/1/2 T salt.
This is what I do. I grind my wheats. (It's better if you can grind them fresh). I put in my large measuring cup 6 cups of pretty hot tap water.
Stir in the potato pearls, the oil, sugar, vit. C and salt. Then check the temp of the water, if not too hot, add the yeast and let it dissolve good. (If too hot wait a few minutes so you don't kill the yeast.)
Pour this liquid into the bread mixer and add enough WW flour to make a sponge. (It looks like waffle batter). Let it bubble for 10 +minutes. (While you shower...)
Then, I change my hook to a dough hook and add the rest of the flour, cup by cup. The dough should clean the sides of the bowl.
Let is continue to knead in the mixer for 5 minutes after all the ingredients are in there. (This develops gluten. Watch it! so it doesn't work off the counter. Yes, it's happened!)
Take the dough out and divide it into 4 or 5 even balls, according to how big you want your loafs. Pat them into a long rectangle and roll them up into a loaf. Put them in a greased bread pan. Let rise 15 or 20 min 'till to the top of the pan.
Put loaves in a preheated oven (350) and bake 30 minutes.
It's good stuff!
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Barbs Whole Wheat Bread
Posted by
Anonymous
at
3:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh man, I really can't wait to make this. Mark and I love homemade bread! My girls, eah, kinda. THey want the soft fluffy white. I tell ya, they don't appreciate good stuff! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Barb....can I really put 15 cups of flour in my mixer and not have it climb out over the top? I guess if you do I will....THANK YOU FOR SHARING. I know the best recipe is pratice! Arlene
I can vouch for it being delicious bread. I eat it all the time. I used to make bread, but now I do not eat enough. Bread is the staff of life. Gma
Barb, I just made wheat bread the other day and in my recipe it said that vitamin C makes the wheat bread lighter and it's a natural dough conditioner. I thought that was pretty cool. I was trying to buy the chewable vitamin C for my kids and bought 750 of the adult kind. I was so mad but when I found out I could use them for something it made me feel better.
Thanks for sharing your recipe. I'll have to try it! Rachel
I DID IT! OH....Yummy It worked! I even showered when Barb told me to....THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing Barb. It is good! And turned out on my first TRY! Arlene
Amy, Just break your kids in slow on the wheat... it is harder on their systems if they aren't used to it. Start with 25% wheat and the rest white and then gradually increase the amount of wheat flour in it. They won't know what hit them!! The vitamin C should help break down the wheat and helps make the gluten. Then, when you are making the loaves... cut them (don't stretch and break) so you don't destroy the glutens in the bread.
Barb, thanks for sharing, I am going to modify my favorite recipe to add the vit c and potato pearls. I have also heard that you can add the powdered milk and that adds a nice texture.
(If anyone is just starting, don't experiment!! Stick to the recipe. Get the feel for it first!)
Cyndee
Ok, so we made this recipe on Saturday, and well, it was just so wonderful, that we only have one loaf left! It was so wonderful! We loved it. The texture is AWESOME! It tastes like store bought. We loved it! man, my machine was really really tired when it was done though, that's ok, we loved it!
Post a Comment