Wednesday, March 28, 2007

An experience with self pity!!

When I read Arlene's blog on self pity. I had to think about Jack forever saying "Self pity is better than no pity at all". I was thinking about one time when I GOT no pity at all. Except maybe from Jack. He was always so sympathetic.

I been worried about Tyler comin from Florida with two little kids. I hope he has a nice trip.

This made me think about myself. During the World War II, I was real sick. I was living with Mother. No doctor could find what was wrong with me. So the dr. said "she must have war blues". Why don't you go be with your husband now that the war is over. Jack had been pulled out of the fleet post office where he was assigned in San Fransico and sent to Farragut, Idaho. His buddy all through the war was Winston Havens. Win's sister was going to Boise and offered me a ride. I went down to Jack's parents and from there they put me on the train to go be with Jack. The train car that I was to ride on had been retired. The windows were so smokey with soot and the car was filthy and had no heat or toilet,(working). It was the first part of Dec. and it was really cold. In those days there was no such thing as disposable diapers. Not even plastic bags. You could not even buy rubber pants . All I could do was knit soakers to use. Marcia wasn't even old enough to walk and was in diapers. (the diapers were single knit rectangles)
I didn't have a suitcase so I put my belongings in a cardboard box and tied it shut with some twine. Somewhere in Oregon they sidetracked our car in the middle of the night. NO lights and you could hardly see your hand in front of your face. No heat . No water. Marcia needed her diaper changed. I could not see to do it, but the seats were a solid bench. I curled up in a fetal position and held Marcia close to me as we lay on the bench. I tried to keep her warm cause she was so wet. Come daylight they hooked on to our train car and we headed for Athol.
When we got to Athol I couldn't straighten my legs. I was in a world of hurt. I had to transfer to a bus to get on the base where Jack was. I managed to stand up and I needed to carry Marcia off the train, and my box. A sailor could see my condition and offered to carry Marcia for me to a bus depot about half a block away. I said I have to take this box too. He said as soon as I get you and your baby on the bus I will come back and get your box. He looked like an angel to me. After he got me on the bus I turned to thank him and he wasn't there. He said he was going to ride the bus to Farragut also. He was gone!!! The next person I saw was JACK. He was standing near the gate. Regulations would not allow him to come through the gate. He had borrowed Win's car and got us to an apartment he had rented. He had the heat on and it felt so good to get warm. The next morning I could not get my shoes on. So I wore my overshoes.
There were lumps clear down my spine. It was a little over a block to the hospital. Jack took me over there and he carried Marcia. I never left the hospital for 3 months. The Red Cross obtained a pass for Jack to take Marcia to his folks. I had rheumatic fever, and enlarged heart and a leaking valve. There was no penicillin, or sulfa. They gave me 12 aspirins a day. and would not allow me to go to the bathroom. I never left that bed. So I would lay still they kept me on phenobarbital. I was so hooked on the drug that I really suffered with withdrawal.
Jack came to see me in the hospital every day. The hospital was on his mail route, which he would run so he would have time to stay with me for a while. This a case of self pity. Don't you think? There is more to this story, but I am sleepy so I will write the rest some other day. Gma

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mom...that doesn't even qualify as self-pity because there was a REASON. I am so glad you have written that down for us. Write more memories and experiences from your life. Your life is such a wonderful example. Sometimes us spoiled yuppies need to remember what it is like to REALLY do HARD THINGS. We are such a bunch of spoiled overindulged pampered wimps...I am all over my pity party. I love you, Mom. Arlene

Cody Russell McComas said...

Wow Grandma. Amazing. Please share more.

amy said...

Grandma, you are a blessing to us every day. We are blessed to have you and Grandpa in our lives. I tell you, the more I learn about you the more I realize I am capable of dealing with. Because somewhere in me there are parts of you. Thank you for enduring so many hard times. It makes my life seem so much easier.

Thank you for being able to share this with us. How did you endure inside your own mind with all that was going on? What was your selftalk? That I think is where the real resiliance is. You are amazing. I am honored to call you grandma.

Anonymous said...

Mom you are as tough as nails. YOu will probably out live us all. You are so strong. Now I know why you don't like drugs!!! And you always would say..."wet and warm will do no harm!" love bev

Anonymous said...

I've heard you tell that story before but know that I'm having to travel with kids it makes me realize how spoiled I am. I'll be getting on an air conditioned airplane and travel across the US in 7 hours. Put both kids in pullups and hope they don't go number 2. We'll probably eat junk food all the way, and then complain we didn't get enough sleep when we get there. I am spoiled. Thanks for sharing grandma. I take way to much for granted. Ty

Unknown said...

Um, I'm speechless. Thanks Gma, what a treasure that story, and you are. Truly.

Anonymous said...

I'm crying Mom! I love and appreciate you so much. YOu are such an example to me. You and Dad were the "bullet proof generation." I can just imagine our handsome Dad standing there in his navy uniform, waiting for you! He had a heart as big as his body....

I know that he cares about all of us and wants us to be on that heavenly home bound train... so we can be together eternally!

bb

Anonymous said...

Wow...Grandma when I'm on my soap box I will think of that story. You are an amazing example! You're a stuff!

Anonymous said...

I mean "tough" not stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Grandma, Thank you for sharing that story. I love to hear stories like that. You are such a strong woman and you never have given up on anything. Conner saw a picture of you today and said, "Mom I want to go to grandma wois (Lois)because she has lots of candy that smells good and tastes good." We love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Grandma
You are such a great example. I love you and I am sorry you had to go through that. That sounded absolutely awful. I am glad you pulled through.
Jenni

Anonymous said...

Grandma,
I often think about Gpa Jack and you homesteading the dairy. I would love to think that I could have done it. That in itself was more work than most will ever do in a lifetime. I struggle with my yard. I am so greatful to hear this story. Please do finish. I will be looking for it. I Love you ,
Jared