Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I am Glad we can talk openly!

Hi Everyone,
I am thankful for Cody, for helping our family be real. I think this is good. It is okay for our family to not be perfect in this life. And now in our struggles, we can help each other. That is how I grew up, and believe me, that is the reason us Morgans turned out so good! We grew up by a "cognitive mother" who allowed us to have problems and to talk about them. And then we were able to work through them. We were also taught where to go for help--Jesus Christ--and what other resources He has given us on earth. Some of these resources have been mentioned. Thank you Cody.
I want to give my opinion about what Barb asked in comments. She asked why people are embarrassed or usually don't share about their depression. I have a story: When I was in the MTC, I remember a member of my Branch Presidency came in and told us that anyone who had been divorced (temple divorced)would suffer greatly in the next life for it. In addition, he said that anyone who had depression was because they were sinners. As you can imagine, I was really upset by this. It hit home, and you know why. I couldn't work. I just cried and cried. I went and talked to the Branch President about it, and he helped me feel like that wasn't the pure truth, and I began thinking about the atonement and really gaining a testimony of it.
So my answer,lot of thoughts about this: I know that sin affects depression. It really influences it and makes it worse and sometimes starts it. And perhaps the reason people feel they have to hide it is because they feel there are people like this member of my Branch Presidency who believe all depression comes from sin, and that there is no room for sinners if that is the cause.
First of all, I think it is part of the illness for people with depression to feel like they have no one to turn to, so they suffer alone. Second of all, aren't we all sinners--cast your stone, go ahead. Thirdly, up until now, it wasn't really okay for our family to talk about it openly. Society contributes to this. The "church" contributes to this. We have to be perfect, right, there is no room for weakness or distance from God. Well, the question I have is, then why did Jesus die for us? Why did he suffer for our pains, sicknesses and infirmities if we don't need them? But before you think I think that is all it takes. I firmly believe it is by grace we are saved "AFTER ALL WE CAN DO". So we do the cognitive part, we take medicine if we need to, we work hard, we repent, we have hope and faith. We reconstruct, and then, we rely on the atonement and our family....
Just a few thoughts. Jenni

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenni (and others),
you are right on. i will share my opinion coming from the medical side of life. our society shuns mental illness. that is why people are ashamed to admit to it. we have heard stories of people with mental illness being kept in the basment of houses, hid by thier family, for years. we have heard of people being dropped off places, and never hearing from family again. the "mental hospitals" are still full of people that have no one contact them, and are left to live alone. part of this is that we don't know how to act or treat these people, or how to approach or deal with thier family. we know how to help and comfort the family of a person that has died, but the family of a person that has schizophrenia? we don't know what to do. how do we handle that? we see people on the street acting "crazy," and what do we do? we leave. we walk away.

likewise, depression gets lumped into that "how do i act with this person" catagory. commonly, as in days of old, we think that illness is a penalty of sin. now emotionally we may suffer, but, we don't get cancer becuse we have sinned. it is not a direct cause-effect thing. sinning can make us emitionally suffer, for example we can feel hopeless becuase we are damned. hopeless = depression. satan wants us to feel that way. he wants us to feel we are beyond help. and as you said, that is what the atonement is for. we are saved from our sins. He did not come for the sinless or those that are full of hope. he came to help us, those of us that need helping.

i agree that it is great that we are here as faimily units, that can help and support one another. i love our family and that we can share and grow together. kinda the point, right? that is what family does.

all we have to do is treat people with mental illness as people. how would we treat the person with cancer? so we can treat the person with depression (or other mental illnesses). treat them as a child of God, and as Christ would have us treat them. love and compassion. why would we do anything else?

lastly, there is a great gap of research and understanding about menal illness, including depression. so what do we do? educate ourselves, and spread the word.

just my 2 cents today i guess.

sam

Anonymous said...

Good insight from both of you. Thanks for teaching me....Steve is interested also. barb