Jenni....I love your post. I also appreciate that we can share and support one another - as a family. In regard to depression...as you can imagine, I am pretty tender about it...the thing that I find most encouraging..is this: IT IS TREATABLE. I think that is the way it can differ so dramatically from cancer (altho..I know first hand that cancer can be treated - and sometimes NOT treated..just slowed down).
Unlike cancer- depression is much more managable and treatable from the inside out than cancer is. In fact, I am finding that a vital part of the treatment of depression is working from the inside out. For example. If someone has cancer..a team of doctors can cure that cancer and the patient can be totally not involved -except to show up for treatment - and it can be cured. (True, good mental health can make that cancer recovery journey vary but...it can still be 'cured' with external help)
BUT with depression...no matter how many doctors and medicines are used unless the patient is an active participate it will NOT be cured. I find that to be very exciting - and encouraging. Being an active part of the 'fight' can assist in the cure. That is encouraging...VERY.
AND I might add...part of that 'treatment' is support of a loving family. To not isolate ones self from the people that care most about them - to stay connected. As I grow and learn, I so understand the great plan of happiness better. THE PLAN OF HAPPINESS - don't you love the name?
I continue to pray for Anonomyous. I hope these posts encourage you. Whoever you are - you can get better. Depression is treatable. You don't have to live with a dark cloud in your heart. The sun can shine again in your soul. Fight the good fight. Get mad at the depression...don't let it take away your agency. Please. Please reread Elder Hollands talk, "Broken Things to Mend".
ALSO for anyone interested - two really good presentations. Go to www.byubroadcasting.org and click 'find a talk' type in depression in the search bar. The two I found just incredible are "Christ-centered Healing from Depression" (you can watch it) and "Depression - There is a Monster in My Closet." (listen or read) Just very very good!
I love this family. I love this family. I love this family.
Arlene
Thursday, May 10, 2007
The Great Plan of Happiness...and family
Posted by
Anonymous
at
10:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Aunt Arlene,
I listened to the 2 talks you mentioned. Very good, Especially the "Christ centered healing" one.
Thanks,
Jared
To anyone who suffers with depression. It may not be a visible thing, but it can destroy you if you do not acknowledge you have it. IT DESTROYED MY DAD!!! All I can read about it, I wish we could have known about it 60 or 70 years ago. I am so glad there is hope now. Stay on the right path.
GMA
I was thinking about cancer vs depression, and like Arlene, I was thinking, if someone said to me, "do you want help with cancer? It is going to take some work, are you willing to do all it takes? Then I would definately do all it takes to cure my cancer. I think that is likewise true with depression. There is help out there, but we have to be willing to do all it takes to get there. Jenni
Post a Comment