Monday, August 14, 2006

Scalding a Hog

Do you know how to scald a hog.? You don't.!!! Well I will tell you. When Jack and I lived in Meridian we always did everything ourselves. Hilterbrands never hired anyone to do anything. This was something that really fascinated me. Guy (Jack's dad) and (Uncle Joe Whittle) always helped each other. So they would build a real hot fire under a barrel of water. When it was scalding hot they would lower the hog in and when they brought it out they would scrape its hair off. Now if the water was not hot enough they would have to repeat the operation or they could not get the hair off.
When Brent Mitchell built our house he had Jack's shower plumbed backward. Rather than cause a fuss Jack said it will be okay. Since Jack is no longer here I use his shower. Usually when you want cold water you turn the faucet to the right. Hot to the left.. Okay. Well I was in a big hurry Sunday morning. I turned the tap to the right cause it was too hot. Remember it is plumbed backwards. Guess what. This hog was scalded. Not enough to scrape, but enough to get a real sunburn. I applied aloe vera. It took some of the fire out, but it left a real shine. I looked like a hog that needed another DIP. Thank goodness it was a little cool yesterday. I told people I was sunburned. They all felt sorry for me. I didn't have to suffer alone. But self pity is better than no pity at all. Today I look quite normal. Usually I like my water warm.......but not that hot.
I am fine, busy, and lazy. All I want to do is eat and sleep. But there is more to life than that.
Love you all . gma

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

mom...i'm in another world. I didn't know that happened to you. i'm sorry. good ole brent mitchell...you are still suffering the consequences of a sloppy carpenter job. bugs, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

OH...MOM....and your hot water tank it turned up so stinking HOT...it burns my hands when I do dishes at your house. Maybe we should turn that thing down...we don't want a scalded hog instead of a Grandma!
Mercy....Arlene

Anonymous said...

That and "shiny like a penny" are the funniest things I think I've ever read. Cept that part about you gettin' hurt! We have a small shower with these 2 long handles that stick out. About once/week I have my eyes shut doing the shampoo thing and I'll get disoriented and wack one of those handles with my elbow for a nice scalding/freezing and with shampoo in my eyes I'll start swatting and flailing trying to find the handles so I can turn them off before the damage is irreversible. On occasion I just burst through the shower door, wet, soapy and too hot/cold, grasping wildly for a towel to wipe my eyes so I can find the blasted handles!

amy said...

Man, I keep forgetting just how funny you are grandma. It is wonderful hearing about your adventures that we all have, but are to embarrased to write about. You write it in a way that makes us all crack up! Thank you for the chuckle.

linzy said...

Grandma, you are too funny! Thanks for the laugh! Sorry about the sunburn.

Anonymous said...

my word mom....you must hae guardian angels watching you get hurt....not helping you from getting hurt. they must be eating and sleeping too!!!bev